Name:
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado, United States

Friday, October 28, 2005

Overcoming Writer's Block

Dear Geek Advisor,

I'm a writer with a bad case of writer's block. What can I do to get over it?

via Shoutbox@BlogExplosion.com

First of all, don't sweat it. Writer's blocks plagues many writers - even the good ones. Stephen King had a major case of writer's block over the Dark Tower series. It took him 20-some years and getting hit by a van to get back on track.

Writer's block is nothing more than your internal editor getting the best of you. To overcome writer's block, the best thing to do is write. Write about your day. Write about your spouse. Write about your job. In plain words, just write, even if it is just "Blah blah blah" on the page until you hit on something to write about.

The idea is to get your pen (or typing fingers) working. It doesn't matter if the end result is crappy. Most of what us writers write is crap. The thing you want to keep in mind is that you have complete control over your finished writings. The public will only see what you want them to see.

Another thing to keep in mind is that us writers always think our stuff is crappier than it actually is. That's the nature of writing, particularly about writing for publishing. When I am working on an article, I find myself getting really close to the subject. When the article is finished, I am usually not ready to let it go, for fear of having it rejected. Inevitably, the article always ends up garnering praise.

The most important thing is to keep writing. Only a small percentage of what you write will be good enough for publishing, and that's alright. In fact, that's what it's all about.

Got a question for the Geek Advisor? Click here to email us!

3 Comments:

Blogger ria said...

A teacher once told me that writing one's name, the date or the time and other mundane stuff usually helps in triggering the mind to work.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I've heard before just get anything typed on the page so that you're not staring at an intimidating piece of blank paper or a blank screen. (Though I would NOT advise typing "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.")

2:09 PM  
Blogger FredCQ said...

I found that starting blog on writing has helped me a lot. It has forced me to think about writing and it has helped me connect with other writers. Whenever I get stuck with my novel, I write a blog post about it :)

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home